Booksaur: Candor by Pam Bachorz

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Candor
by Pam Bachorz
Pages: 256
Released: Sept. 22, 2009
Candor
Summary: 
Candor is a small town in Florida where the kids are... perfect. Seriously, they always do their homework, obey their parents, never lie, eat really healthy, and are very respectful and polite. These kids weren't always this way though. Before arriving in Candor, most of them were brats, rebels--the exact opposite of what they are today. The reason they are so "good" is because Candor feeds them subliminal messages hidden in music that is played throughout the town. These messages say things such as obey your parents or respectful space in every place. The story follows Oscar Banks who is the son of the town's founder. Oscar's father believes that his son is being controlled by these messages, but little does he know Oscar figures out a way to block the messages from controlling his life. It's until he meets Nia, a rebellious girl, who changes his life.

My Thoughts: Think: Stepford Wives meets YA.

What I liked: The premise of the book is very refreshing and interesting to read. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, it really had me hooked and I wanted to learn more about the strange town of Candor. The ending was excellent and the author couldn't have chosen a better way to write it. It's haunting and after finishing it, I was constantly thinking about it.

What I disliked: The middle is what really fell flat for me. I felt that it was a bit rushed and the love story was just happening all too fast. For example, the love story between Oscar and Nia started with them being acquaintances to saying "I love you" instantly. I was a bit confused and felt like I skipped 100 pages or so of a building romance.

Conclusion: All in all, I would give this book a lower rating if it wasn't for the awesome beginning and really moving ending. I say pick this up if you have the time (it's a short read) and read it for the beginning and ending.

4/5 stars

Source: Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! And will respond to all of them :) Thanks!