Booksaur: Solid by Shelley Workinger (Solid #1)

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Solid by Shelley Workinger (Solid #1)

Solid 
by Shelley Workinger
Pages: 221
Released: July 9, 2010
Solid by  
Summary: Clio Kaid's life was changed before she was even born. Eighteen years preceding, a rogue doctor secretly distributed a chromosomal drug to 100 pregnant women. Not long after the children are born, the doctor is killed and the knowledge of the drugs along with him. The military later on discovers the experiment and rushes Clio and the other teens to a special facility in order to learn more about them. While at the facility, they discover the effects of the drugs and other hidden secrets.

My Thoughts: Right off the bat, I was intrigued by the book's premise, I found it original and I was curious to find out more. I must admit, the book was a pretty quick read, but I must say that the beginning was a bit slow for me. Once it picked up though, it didn't slow down and the adventure kept delivering.

Workinger does a great job writing the characters because they are central to the story and the chemistry between them is excellent. They were different from one another, but that made it all the more interesting. I would say that my favorite character was Garrett, because he brought his humor to the group and simply made the dialogue hilarious to read.

Another thing that I enjoyed were the abilities that the characters had. It sort of reminded me of the Gone series or Xmen. It was awesome finding out what each person's ability was and how it sort of fit their character.

Towards the last few chapters, I was on the edge of my seat rooting for the characters to make it through. In the end you discover quite a bit, but you're also left with some questions for the next book, Settling.

Conclusion: Overall, this is a fun, unique story and you should check it because it has a bit of everything wrapped up in one--mystery, adventure, sci-fi, supernatural, and romance.

P.S. I received this book from the author and my review is not biased. :)

4/5 stars

Source: Received from author, Shelley Workinger.

Here's where you can purchase this book:
Amazon - Physical Book
Amazon - Kindle

Here's the author's website (you can read the prologue here too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! And will respond to all of them :) Thanks!