Booksaur: WANTED: HERO Prelude to a Hero by Jamie Buckley

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WANTED: HERO Prelude to a Hero by Jamie Buckley

Prelude to a Hero
by

WANTED: HERO Prelude to a Hero by  
Summary: Wendell is a young man who learns what his potential is while on a strange, enchanted world with a funny old wizard and ugly troll to mentor and guide him.  Prelude to a Hero, the first book in the chronicles, relates how Wendell came to be the one expected to save an entire world. . . by accident.  Against slim odds, through unsurmountable foes -- join us on Wendell's journey to greatness.  

My Thoughts: I would say that this book is for younger kids, but I was still able to follow the story. Something interesting about this book is that it began as a series of comics.

I enjoyed the opening of the book (prologue), it introduces you to the narrator and the interesting writing style of the book. After that, I was pushed straight into chapter one and I did find it a bit confusing at first because it was a sudden leap. Once Wendell (the protagonist) is introduced in the second chapter it then became easy to follow along. Wendell was a fun, lighthearted character and when he gets pulled from Earth into this other world it was entertaining to see his reactions to the unconventional situation. My favorite character out of the book would have to be Dax since he brought a lot of humor and 'fun' to the book, but he wasn't there for most of the story.

Since this is the first book in the series, it sets up the world, the creatures, and some of the terminology that is used. This seems like an adventure book so I was expecting it to be really action packed, but there isn't a lot of action going on (I think that the follow books in the series is where the action will be!). One of the best parts of this story is the twist in the book--it really drew me in and I wanted to know what was going to happen as a result.The book ends at a good spot because it gives readers enough info about the characters and world, but we still want to know what's going to happen next.

Conclusion: I enjoyed the humor that was dispersed throughout the book and some of the strange characters that were introduced. The author does a great job creating characters with a lot of personality to them and I think this series is going to be interesting. Also, there's also a pronunciation guide at the end of the book, check it out!

P.S. I received this book from the author and my review is not biased. :)

3.5/5 stars

Source: Received from Author.

Here's where you can purchase this book: (ebook format) for $0.99.
Amazon (for Kindle)
Directly from the book's site (for: Kindle, Epub, PDF)

Here's the author's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! And will respond to all of them :) Thanks!