Booksaur: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Monday, May 16, 2011

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines
by John Green
Pages: 227
Released: September 21, 2006
An Abundance of Katherines
Summary:Colin Singleton, a grownup child prodigy, has been dumped nineteen times. And get this, all of them are named Katherine. After graduating from high school, Colin and his humorous (and only) friend Hassan embark on a road trip. They end up in Gunshot, Tennessee where they meet some pretty interesting Tennesseans and Colin works on a theorem that will predict the "future of any relationship" (taken from the summary). See where Colin and Hassan's adventure leads them as they deal with friendship, love, craziness, and a Monster Thickburger.

My Thoughts:

What I Liked: If you are unfamiliar with John Green's writing, he adds a bit of umph in his books leaving us with several messages which really leaves the readers to digest for themselves. Hassan's character is so awesome, whenever he is in a scene, I was grinning throughout--he is hilarious (even when the situation is bad) and is the ultimate best friend. The character development in this book is great as well. I enjoyed the ending and I thought it ended on a good note. The footnotes were interesting to read and I got a feel for how Colin's mind worked; he was always thinking extensively.

What I Disliked:
I'm not going to lie, this book was pretty darn slow until I reached about halfway. Thus, it took me a while to get through since I was putting the book down every chapter. I wish we learned more about the Katherines he dated throughout the book (or more on Katherine XIV at least).

Conclusion:
Although this book starts out slow (maybe even boring to some?), don't be discouraged to keep on reading until you reach halfway and from then on you might as well finish it. I think I went into this book having super high expectations because I read Looking for Alaska before this (John Green's debut novel).

4/5 stars


Source: Library.

And now I leave you with an alternate cover of this book ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! And will respond to all of them :) Thanks!