Booksaur: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
by Lish McBride
Pages: 352
Released: October 12, 2010
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Summary: Sam, a college drop out / fast food employee. Nothing out of the ordinary there, or so the thinks. After a run-in with a strange man named, Douglas, Sam discovers that he is anything but ordinary--he is a necromancer. Douglas is a powerful necromancer who threatens Sam to train with him. Until Douglas discovers Sam's ability and we learn Douglas's true intentions. With the help of his friends and family, Sam must take Douglas down and learn to use his powers before Douglas can get to him.

My Thoughts: I really really wanted to like this book, truly I did...

What I liked: I was drawn to this book from its cover and awesome title. Also the whole necromancy (the ability to summon the dead) aspect of it--I've never heard of it until I came across this book. It was refreshing to read a book about a new concept as well. Sam was a pretty likable character and there are a bit (key word: bit) of funny parts.

What I disliked: ... I went into this book with a lot of expectations, and needless to say, I was not satisfied. I felt that the book was very slow paced (even though there were some interesting parts such as the fight scenes, the introduction of characters, and meeting his family). Other than that, I really had to push myself to continue reading and keep telling myself it was going to get better. Nope, it didn't for me. I felt the humor was a bit dry, as in I just read over it and didn't laugh. The writing style was too... descriptive I would say, for example there is a scene where Ramone brings Sam home some food and he talks about the rice and beans, and that he needed a fork and then he tells us he went up, got a fork, and then stares at the tiles, then eats. This is one of the less descriptive parts... and it goes on like this throughout the book. I felt that it made the story drag on and was unnecessary. I think that a book should only have a sex scene when necessary and this one was definitely unnecessary and did nothing to make them closer. Toward the end, I had to force myself to finish it (after the cool fight scene of course) and I'm surprised how I managed to do so.

Conclusion: To sum it up, I started this book with very high expectations and perhaps that is why I didn't like it. I read Amazon and Goodreads reviews and it has pretty high reviews on both. I really wish I could be one of those people to give this a 5/5 start but it just didn't cut it for me. I would say don't let my review discourage you from giving the book a read, but I would say pick it up at the library if you are going to do so.

3/5 stars

Source: Bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! And will respond to all of them :) Thanks!